Parents are a vital pillar in the cultural strength of Castlemaine Steiner School and Kindergarten. They participate in the life of the school in many very important ways.
- Parents are members of the governing body and its various subcommittees and
guide the overall running of the school from this important perspective.
- Parents participate in the education of children in many vital ways, including:
- Attending class meetings each term to learn about the programme their child/ren
- Attending parent - teacher interviews twice per year to discuss the specific
progress of their child/ren
- Assisting in a range of class activities, from attending camps and excursions to assisting with reading, craft and sport activities.
- Parents help at regular class working bees, taking on specific projects as
a class to improve the amenity and beauty of the school site.
- Parents organise and collectively run our annual Spring Fair, the single
major fundraising activity of the school.
At Castlemaine Steiner School and Kindergarten each class teacher nominates
parents who act as class carers, usually for a year, to act as the key communication
link between teachers and parents. Contact your class carer with any questions
about class activities or events. The class carer helps coordinate support
for any families in the class who may be experiencing difficulties or major
Parents and Friends Group
Parents and friends of the school meet regularly to discuss ways to best support the school and the education of their children.
Parents and Friends Library
The school has a collection of books and reading materials to assist parents
understand Steiner Education and the complex role of parenting. A small membership
fee entitles parents to join the P&F Library and borrow materials. Whilst the collection is still small, parents are encouraged to make tax deductible donations to the P&F library to assist its expansion.
School Community Groups
The fostering of community spirit is an important aspect of parents work in
the school. The creation of an atmosphere of caring and support within the
whole school community is seen in the class carers' network, the 'hand to heart'
system, where meals are provided to families in need, the parents' craft group,
study group, the singing group and the adults' drama group (Waldorf Players).
All these activities bring together the many creative impulses of our parent
community and enhance the life of the school community.
^ return to top